Many Medications Deplete Essential Vitamins & Nutrients
This is a practical guide to understanding how common medications deplete essential nutrients in our bodies, and what you can do about it
What is Drug-Induced Nutrient Depletion?
Medicine is not inherently bad for you. Scientific advancements in the pharmaceutical industry have greatly improved the quality of life around the world. For many suffering from diseases and other medical conditions, innovation in the medical community by way of the advancement of new drugs achieves the targeted goals necessary for us to live our lives to the fullest, despite the presence of health-related problems. That said, the medicine we take does have its flaws. Certain medications, from hormone replacement therapies to high cholesterol to diabetes treatments, have been shown to interfere with the body’s ability to absorb and maintain vital nutrients.
Diabetes Nutrient Depletion
Many medications used to treat both type 1 and type 2 diabetes have been shown to deplete essential nutrients. Find out how to restore them.Learn More
High Cholesterol Nutrient Depletion
High cholesterol and cholesterol medications are necessary but bring risks. Mitigate many of those risks by supplementing with nutrients drugs depleteLearn More
High Blood Pressure
Learn more about the nutrients depleted by high blood pressure medications and what you can do to restore those nutrients to healthy levels.Learn More
Are Prescription Drugs Depleting Necessary Vitamins & Minerals from Your Body?
It’s an unfortunate but little known fact that many medications deprive your body of essential vitamins and minerals that are vital to your health. The medical community has been aware of this fact for more than fifty years. Certain prescription and over-the-counter medications may interfere with your body’s ability to absorb particular nutrients and vitamins, as well as the body’s natural production of important biochemicals.
What’s more, some argue that certain medications are over-prescribed – without proper exploration of the patient’s nutrition and other life-style habits. Considering that nearly half the American population is taking prescription medications, as consumers we need to be particularly cognizan of how these drugs are affecting our body, in order to stem the growing problem of nutrient depletion.
Signs & Symptoms of Drug-Induced Nutrient Depletion
It’s important to note that many Americans already suffer from nutrient depletion due to dietary and other factors, whether you’re taking medications or not. Some of the conditions you might find yourself seeing a doctor about may actually be related to nutrient depletion. Your body may send certain signals that the medications you’re taking are having such an effect. Signs and symptoms include:
- Muscle Aches
- Decreased Energy
- Memory Loss
- Dry Skin
The good news is, there are practical and effective solutions to drug-induced nutrient depletion. At Davis Islands Pharmacy, we can review the medications you’re taking and are happy to offer advice on vitamins and supplements designed to restore those essential nutrients your medicine is likely to deplete.
Who is Most at Risk for Nutrient Depletion?
Nutrient depletion can affect anyone, regardless of whether they’re taking medications that are known to cause these issues to arise. For example, one’s diet can affect the balance of nutrients necessary to maintain a healthy body.
While many commonly prescribed medications may cause nutrient depletion, the most common medications we see include those for high cholesterol, high blood pressure, hormone replacement therapies, and diabetes.
A brief list of some of the nutrients treatments for these conditions are known to deplete include:
- Anti-hypertension Medication can deplete Zinc (ACE inhibitors such as ramipril, captopril and elanopril), Magnesium & Potassium (Diuretics such as thiazides and lasix), and in the case of beta blockers, Coenzyme Q10
- Common over the counter NSAIDs, such as Advil, Aleve, Motrin, have been shown to deplete Folic Acid with long term and high dose use
- Metformin, found under the brand names Glumetza, Glucophage, Fortamet, Riomet, and Glucophage XR, is commonly prescribed for the treatment of type 2 diabetes and has been shown to deplete essential B12, Thiamine (B1), and Folic Acid
- Insulin is an anti-diabetic agent that, combined with decreased absorption the diabetes already causes, is known to deplete magnesium, particularly in the urine
- Medications commonly prescribed to treat high cholesterol, such as Lipitor Crestor, and Zocor, have been shown to deplete Coenzyme Q10, which can be found in fish oil; and Bile Acid Suppressants, such as Cholestyramine, can deplete Beta-Carotene, Vitamins A, E and K, Folic Acid, Iron, B12, Calcium/ Vitamin D, Magnesium, and Phosphate Salts
- Hormone replacement therapies including estrogen deplete nutrients such as Vitamin B6, Folic acid, and Magnesium
Can’t I Restore Nutrients Through Dietary Changes?
Even if you feel you’re meeting the recommended daily allowance for the nutrients you’re likely to deplete due to medications, many in the medical community believe that the recommended allowance for those suffering from high cholesterol, diabetes, and hypertension – as well as those undergoing hormone replacement therapies is much too low.
What to Do About Drug-Induced Nutrient Depletion
Vitamins & Supplements to Restore Nutrients Depleted by Medication
At Davis Islands Pharmacy, we offer a range of supplements to help restore nutrients depleted by medication, and are careful in recommending products that are effective and based in science. In particular, we carry a line of products by Solutions RX, which was developed by a team of pharmacists and health care providers and offers top-of-the-line solutions that many customers find bring them increased energy, vitality, and improvements to their overall health.
Why Solutions Rx in Tampa, Florida
SolutionsRX supplements are available over-the-counter, and are designed to restore nutrients depleted by medications, or those that your body might be deficient in for some other reason. Each line exceeds the daily recommended allowance of certain nutrients, offering you maximum benefit.
At Davis Islands Pharmacy, we offer Solutions Rx products at low prices, in addition to medication reviews and counseling to ensure you’re purchasing the most effective product, or combination of over-the-counter products to restore those vital nutrients and enhance your well-being.
What to Look for in Nutrient-Depletion Solutions:
A major problem with most supplements are that they are not well-absorbed by the body. Specific advantages of Solutions Rx Restore products include the three mechanisms by which they are designed for total absorption by your body:
- By chelating the minerals, Solutions Rx Restore products appear more organic to the body, leading to better absorption and greater restoration of drug-induced nutrient depletion
- Without enzymes, minerals are not absorbed by the body; each of Solutions Rx’s formulas contain an enzyme blend that breaks down those vitamins and minerals, leading to optimal absorption
- Vitamins and minerals are most effectively absorbed in the small intestine, which is why Solutions Rx coats its tablets with a special Ph-sensitive manner, allowing the enzymes to be released where they are best absorbed by the body
We care deeply that our patients suffering from disease and other medical problems are able to live their lives to the fullest. Therefore, we encourage you to educate yourself on drug-nutrient depletion and take advantage of scientific research to do what you can to restore those vitamins your medication may be taking away.
At Davis Islands Pharmacy, we are happy to help you better understand your unique condition and point you in the direction of the highest quality line of formulated multi-vitamin and enzyme combinations specific to your needs.
Stop by the pharmacy or call us today at (813) 254-1888.
Our knowledgeable staff is here to assist you in better understanding drug-nutrient depletion as it relates to the medications you’re taking.